Saturday, February 22, 2014

Hangin' with Maria Montessori in the Windy City

Thanks so much to the Association of Illinois Montessori Schools and Near North Montessori for hosting me at such a fantastic conference. I knew going into this weekend that I would be preaching to a thoroughly converted choir, that Montessori teachers are advocates for their students' autonomy and the power of intrinsic motivation. However, I had no idea I'd meet such a smart and dedicated group of teachers and administrators. I was moved and inspired.

Here's the bibliography for my talk, including all of the books and studies I specifically mentioned in my talk to both parents and administrators, and the keynote for teachers.

Thanks again, and please, email me at if you'd like to be on the mailing list for intermittent news about my articles and my book, The Gift of Failure: How the Best Parents Learn to Let Go So Their Children Can Succeed, due to come out in August of 2015 from HarperCollins.

Books referenced in my talk:

William Shakespeare, Henry IV, Part I

Study: inflated praise makes children with low self-esteem feel worse.

Not referenced, but also interesting:

James M. Lang, Cheating Lessons: Learning from AcademicDishonesty (kids don’t cheat on tasks for which they are intrinsically motivated)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing the list! It's always interesting to see what other people are reading.